‘A Hard Landing’ by Gabriele Mirzinkeviciute, Year 10, Thomas Clarkson Academy

It was late and I was walking home after a hard day of school. It was only me and my thoughts now, as it always is, after my best friend and I parted ways. I was crossing the street and now had to cross an alleyway. I despised coming down here, especially when darkness falls quickly, but I had no alternative but to come this way to get home faster. My mother was always afraid when I took this route at night-time. I started walking a lot faster for some reason, it was a little perilous because it rained heavily earlier on. It was muddy and slippery as there was lots of frost around, and if I tripped or fell, I’d tumble down to the lake, where no one would find me.

Then I noticed there were more of them, posters of the missing placed on the fence which seemed to stretch for miles… It was difficult to see in the poor lightening, but I started to feel uncomfortable now and unsafe. I didn’t want to stay around and read the final details on the poster as it began to feel strange and creepy. I just needed to get out of here now. I turned and started walking as fast as I could not looking back as my heart started pounding.

I was walking as fast as I could, almost falling over my feet several times, when I heard a crow fly by above me, producing a loud cry. I didn’t think much of it, even though it contributed to my worry and paranoia. Suddenly, I thought I heard footsteps behind me; I turned to see who was there, but there was no one. Then, I felt like someone was watching me.

Shivers ran down my spine as I turned around to discover a strange man standing there, looking and pointing at me. As I turned to escape, I noticed a lady standing in front of me. I tried to get away, but I was pushed so hard that I slipped and went into the water. I shrieked when the cold water touched me. The high wind made it impossible for me to swim and see anything. I saw myself falling farther into the water, screaming and pleading for rescue.


Suddenly, my body was thrown into a large stone; I hugged it, panted heavily, and implored God to spare me. It was tough to move, but I used all my might to climb the rock while ripping the skin of my skin. The pain was intense, but I knew I had to survive.

As I stood up, I looked around and realised I was approaching the busy roadway that took me home. As I walked the path home, I had the strange sensation that someone was watching at me again and started running home. Thankfully I reached home after 40 minutes, and I immediately cried in my mother’s arms, and told her about my ordeal.